|Munster Historical Society|
The year 2007 marked the Centennial Anniversary for the Town of Munster. But its history started long before Munster was a town.
The history of the Town is connected to the growth of the railroad. Settlers arriving in the 1850s arrived by rail; these early residents of the area raised crops and provided dairy products to the profitable Chicago markets. Like many immigrants, the family name of Jacob Monster had been anglicized to Munster. Jacob Munster opened a General Store on Ridge Road in 1870 that provided groceries, hardware, dry goods, and an oak desk that was the area's first U.S. Post Office. In 1907, the community distinguished one of its first residents by forming a municipality, the Town of Munster.
In 1976, The Munster Historical Society was organized by a group of citizens. The Munster Historical Society collects, preserves, and promotes the history of the Town of Munster. The Historicakl Society offices are located in the Munster Town Hall, 1005 Ridge Road. For more information you can call them at 836-6932.